Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

It's time to clean the muscle heads out of all police departments.

Many police departments have officers on their payroll who are unfit to serve. They are the muscle heads, the (mainly) male officers on an ego power trip. These people get in the way of real police work and cause the community to fear the police instead of respecting them. The vast majority of police officers do their difficult job well and could to it much better if these ego heads were removed of their weapons and their jobs. I wouldn't hire one for warehouse security.






I will follow this up with a personal incident. I am bipolar. Recently, I called 911 when I thought my son was in danger. When the dispatcher continued to ask me questions after I gave all the pertinent information, I went high-manic. All the dispatcher had to say was "a car is on the way to his apartment" but instead the questions continued. I went ballistic (it's what I do). When two police officers from Coventry, CT 06238 arrived they took more verbal abuse at loud volumes and close quarters (nose to nose) as I explained that in this instance I was in charge, not them. During that time my therapist was called and I had to listen to "Yes Mr. Salters, we believe you but we are not talking to you, we are talking to the mania that has taken control of your mouth." It was funny at first (Monty Python - "I'm not dead yet.") but it continued in an endless loop. The Coventry police never touched me. They treated me with respect during the entire incident and when I had had enough I demanded (and not politely) that they leave my property, which they did. Kudos to the well trained professional officers of the Coventry police department.

At this time I still didn't know if my son was OK so I headed to Willimantic, CT 06226. Actually I flew to Willimantic in my Yaris, sliding sideways up the door of the secure complex with the memory of how the Willimantic police department had taken away my son's license after he was pulled over for having his parking lights on instead of his headlights. My son is mentally handicapped and was headed out on a date with his girlfriend, a woman of color. No ticket was issued. His license was taken under the claim that he was medically unfit to drive. It sure looked like a case of double discrimination to me. It took months to get before a judge and have his license reinstated without a blemish on his driving record (no ticket? very little recourse). 

So there I was, trapped in the complex's "man trap" when multiple muscular officers arrived. I surrendered without resisting after throwing my cell phone in my car and telling the officers that they could get a warrant or have my car towed. I was handcuffed and locked in a cruiser. Unfortunately, for the first time in my life I did become delusional. Perhaps they were just looking through the windows but I imagined that they were trying to gain access to my car so I started to try to get their attention by kicking the window. I did later look for any evidence that my car had been tampered with and found none. They opened the door to the cruiser and pepper sprayed me multiple times. I asked them to make a call to confirm my identity which they did not do. Instead they laughed at me, calling me retard, old man and laughing at the results of their work (I was drooling and my nose was running). Finally, I demanded to be taken to the hospital as I only trusted a medical professional to undo their work. I was never arrested as I never touched or even threatened any of the muscle heads. My only "crime" was being mentally ill. And this at a time when laws are being passed that allow the police to shoot your dog because you took their photo.


What did I get out of this? I got a t-shirt (kind of like that muscle headed police chief in PA) that I wear proudly whenever I go to Willimantic:

Front
















 Back



No comments:

Post a Comment